Thursday, March 11, 2010

Myrah Siblings on the lose in Istanbul

Does it look like it was alittle cold?


We started our day off bright and early 8am for a good hearty breakfast here in the hotel. They have very nice buffet style breakfasts, with all you can eat. Lot's of good hot coffee, not the mud kind. But there's lots of folks that like that mud so I guess I shouldn't bad mouth it. Actually I've found that after eating their breakfasts I don't need to eat lunch. Even with putting 14,500 steps on the ped meter today. My brother Don wanted to find a Citi Bank ATM so he didn't have to pay the bank fees. We had an address so we walked all over creation and still didn't find it. On my way back to the hotel, this afternoon when I was alone and without him I found two of them. I keep thinking where's Don? I'd left them to tour the Haghi Sophia.After walking all over we found our way to the Topkapi Palace. This palace was built between 1459 and 1465 just shortly after the conquest of Constantinople, by Mehmet II as his principle residence. It was used up until 1853 when Dolmabahce Palace was built.. Topkapi was opened as a museum in 1924.The grounds included many buildings, the Imperial Costumes, one very large. The Treasury where an actual 86 carat diamond was on display. I've never seen a diamond that large, it was beautiful. There were so many emeralds, rubies, diamonds, pearls, gold on display I can see why they call it the treasury. It was truly an incredible place. I'm so glad again my sister Trish said this was a "MUST SEE". Oh I forgot to mention the dagger, which was designed as a gift for the Shaw of Persia, it had 3 huge emeralds in the handle each larger than .50 cent pieces close to silver dollar size. The sheath was compleatly covered with all kinds of stones, I can't even imagine what the value of it was. But guess what? The Shaw of Persia died before it could be given to him so it stayed in Turkey. I'm Telling you this country has millions of dollars here in this museum. As we went out the main entrance I notice armed military guards with automatic weapons on each side of the gate, and another on the roof ( I didn't notice them as I went in.) Then there was the Harem where the Sultans wives and conubines lived with the black enuchs as their guards. That was the very interesting too, you had to work your way up. Mom ruled the roost in their, she really controlled who was going to make it to the top so to speak. Then there were Islamic treasures, there was an actual footprint of Muhammad from when he supposedly stepped in some mud. Numerous other items of great importance to the Islamic religion. I then said my goodbyes to Don & Geralynn and headed back to the hotel and Grand Bazaar. After walking what seemed like a million miles to the Grand Bazaar I was too tired to shop so I just kept right on walking and headed to the hotel. Another day without spending money, this is a record for Cheryl.
Don & Geralynn finally arrived back around 6pm and we went out and had a nice dinner close by. I had a nice lamb dinner with pita bread and yogurt. very delicious. Back to hotel, pack and prepare for early morning wakeup and bus ride out of Istanbul, through across the Bosphoros down past Gallopoli on to the ancient city of Troy. (Brad Pitt I'll be on the look out for you). For more views of the Topaki Palace go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/lowdivideroad/topakai












doo

No comments:

Post a Comment