Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ankara Capital of Turkey
























































Today we left for Ankara the capital of Turkey and the last stop of the tour for Don & Geralynn and I. We're leaving the tour in Ankara and going to the home exchange Don & G have arranged in southern Turkey for about 10 days. I'm really ready for some warm weather too. It was about a 6 hour bus ride to Ankara. When we arrived the first thing we did was head to Ataturks Museum and final resting place. Very impressive from the outside. The museum is very thorough in covering the war for independence that Ataturk lead the soldiers in, complete with light and sound effects. I was very impressed. I knew very little about him when I came to Turkey and I have a much better understanding of who he was. He died in 1936 but the people still love and very much respect him.
We saw many of his personal items, clothings, jewelry, cars, gifts from other heads of state. We also saw lots of military police around the museum too.
Then Don & G and I walked downtown to eat. We found a resturant on the 10th floor we dubbed the lover's bar, as there were alot of young couples in there actually "making out" in their booths. Quite a shock.
In the mornng we said our goodbyes to the group and headed off on our own. Originally Don planned for us to ride a big bus to Kas in southern Turkey (it was an overnight bus ride) but after all the other bus riding we'd just completed he asked if I'd mind flying south instead? I jumped on the chance to fly, I was bused out too. So we headed to the airport to fly south.

More photos can be seen at: http://picasaweb.google.com/lowdivide/AtaturksMemorial


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment