Monday, March 8, 2010

Basilica Cistern & Blue Mosque

These are a couple of the mosaic icons in the Haghia
Sophia, from the days when it was a Christian Chruch.










Wouldn't you know it I spent so much time in the Haghia Sophia that when I came out they were calling all to prayers again. So I headed off to go through the cisterns. They were just across the street. They are not sure who built them, but they are in very amazing condition. You go down about two stories, then walk out on wooden patforms over the water. the water was the source of the drinking water in the very early days. Its not used for anything these days, just a tourist attraction. Thanks Lois for telling me about them.
People throw coins in the water for luck. Plus there were some very large fish swimming in there too. It was dark except for these red lights that illuminated the columns which held the roof up. the roof was made of bricks. The floor of the cistern looked like some form of tile block. No brackish smell and it was very clean looking, I was pretty amazed actually.





Next it was off to the Blue Mosque, it is still a mosque and was in use for prayers twice when I tried to visit. finally success on the third attempt. first I had to remove my shoes and place them in a bag and take them with me. No shoes in the mosque and then you must cover your hair.(women) Inside was decorated with lots of mosaic tile blue and white. Stained glass window again. No images, but lots of caligraphy writings of Muhammad. Not as big as the Haghia Sophia but beautiful in its own right. This was built around 1609 during the Middle Ages, of course the center for worship faces "Meca". This mosque has six minarets which was considered sacreligious at the time it was built as people thought the builder was trying to make it better than Mecca! To see more pictures go to my Picasa album: http://picasaweb.google.com/lowdivideroad/

No comments:

Post a Comment