Sunday, March 7, 2010

Actual Day in Amsterdam

This is an example of the canals and the multi lev eled homes that line the canals. There were lots of house boats along the sides where you could actually see people living in the boats. Don't think I'd like that all that much. The canal boat ride took about an hour an half if just stayed on. But you could hop on an off. I did that. getting off 3 times at various stops. The canals were actually very clean, they said that they have a system where they wash the system each evening. People don't thr0w their trash 0n the gr0und and therefore it hasn't washed into the canals. The airport at Amsterdam was very user friendly lots of shops resturants, and places to rest and relax while waiting for your fllight. Trains and buses comes right into the airport and make it really easy to go into town, if you have a layover.







I did go to the Van Gogh Museum and they had some awesome paintings by him. Many others by painters of the same era. I didn't try the Anne Frank Museum too long a line and it was cold and windy, and the line was in the shade.
Next I went to the Hermitage Museum, it's a museum built by the Russians there in Amsterdam. They have brought over r0tating exhibits fr0m the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. It was built in a former seniors old folks home which had been remodled there along one of the canals. The exhibit I saw had just opened, that day, it had been closed for two months to change the exhibit. Then it was time to grab a bite to eat and head back to the airport to wait for my fight. Had a really delicious tomato and cheese sandwich. I was tempted to try a waffle but felt it probably won't stay with me long. Well time to go, will try to update on my 1st day in Istandbul later today. Having a great time.



No comments:

Post a Comment